Another year, another shitload of great albums. As soon as you start thinking it is feeling like a quiet year they come tumbling out of the woodwork and the end of year culling process becomes as tricky as ever.
Honorable mentions must go to two outstanding EPs: Bon Iver’s Blood Bank and Witch Hats’ Solarium Down The Causeway as well as the following reissues:
- Neil Young Archives – a stellar collection that sets a new standard in box sets and career overviews… and its just the beginning of the series!
- Kraftwerk Remaster series – the electronic pioneers were overdue for a reappraisal and these new versions of their classic albums prove they were the electronic originators and still the masters.
- The Stone Roses – The Stone Roses. A clean-up of an album that defined its time.
- Pearl Jam – Ten. A worthy replacement for the muddy and billowing sound of the original.
- The Beatles Remaster series – A chance to hear the songs in a totally new light.
Our favourite albums of 2009 (click on the links to read reviews) are as follows… Let us know your thoughts!